[mythtv] Interactive TV (was uc: Xtraview patch)

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Fri Jul 15 06:35:44 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:24:08AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:45:26AM +0100, Stephen Williams wrote:
> > The (final) xtraview patch was quite simple and should still apply,
> > even if you have to do it manually. As other people have said, it'll
> > never get into CVS. This patch should become irrelevant when myth
> > (hopefully!) regains the ability to manually edit the PIDs associated
> > with a channel.
>
> Wouldn't it be better if Myth had support for interactive TV
> (using MHP) so that you could select those channels properly?
> (And pay for them...)

Yes it would be. I've been having a bash at this and there are a
number of things that need doing. (And it will take a while...)

1) Integrate some form of libdsmcc into the backend.
   - This allows the backend to download all of the objects from the
     object carousel.
2) Integrate an MHEG interpreter into the frontend.
   - This uses and interprets data from the object carousel.
3) Write a rendering engine for the MHEG.

Number 3 really should be done in conjunction with the new UI that is
being worked on. I shouldn't be too hard to have this engine being used
for Interactive TV, Teletext & OSD, as the majority (99%) of the display
stuff would be common.

Stuart