[mythtv] mythgame : features...

Kieron Wilkinson lists at softpres.org
Mon Jul 11 01:57:30 EDT 2005

Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>  Here is what I propose. I could add an option to the player setup
> screen to allow for Multiple Disks/Roms for that particular emulator,
> and then as long as the files are named Majong.1 a .adf, Majong.2.adf (or
> Majong-1.adf, Majong-2.adf, etc) they will be detected.

There are a few naming convensions out there for this. For example,
TOSEC (which covers a whole load of systems not just Amiga). In this you
have names such as "A Cool Game [publisher, etc] [Disk 1]".

Also the CAPS naming convension uses many diffent names for multiple
disks, i.e. Disk 1, Disk A, Disquette 1, etc.

Just suggestions but:

Both of the above usually keep disk images in ZIP files. Therefore you
can know which disks belong to a particular game, and if you made that a
requirement for every system, detection might be a lot easier.

To find out the order of the disks to put in the disk drives, you could
sort the list of disk files in the ZIP and add them one by one up to the
amount of drives the emulator/system supports. This should work in the
vast majority of cases. It may fail, but there are lots of multi-disk
games that only work from the first drive anyway.

I don't know how much work that is, but I think above is a good way to
do it.

>  A single entry for Majong.adf(The .adf will not be displayed in the
> tree list) will be placed in the database along with a detected disk count
> placed in a field named disks.

Don't forget there are IPF files too! :)

>>And I thik a way to edit Metadata would be nice,(lik suggested yesterday) I
>>think we can copy that from MythMusic, I'm looking forward to doing that.

There is an emerging standard for this spearheaded by Cloanto - which is
not system specific. It involves putting in all the information you
would need to get a game to run (emulator config, multiple disk names
etc.). If you supported that, you would get lots of other people filling
in the information for us to use :) If you are interested, I'll find the
link... It is not finalised yet unfortunately, but a Linux library to
handle it might get things moving and make it easier for you, so I'll
suggest that to them!

>  I just don't see the value in this. The metadata all gets wiped when doing
> a game scan, and there just isn't much beyond Genre, Year, and Game Name
> that would be worth editing. My goal is to have as much of that auto
> filled in for as many different gametypes as possible.

TOSEC naming, a current emulation "standarard" has all that information
which you could use. Might be a lot more work though...

Kieron