[mythtv] Problem with recent utf8 changes in MythMusic?

Paul mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jan 30 08:21:46 EST 2005

I have just updated to the current cvs version of MythMusic
and am having problems playing several files. The decoder
can't find the files because the filename has been changed by
the conversion to utf8 I think.

The files in question all seen to have the same character in the
filename (0xB4 -  Acute Accent). Looking at the filename
in the metadata editor it has been replace by '??' that's two
question marks, which explains why the decoder cannot find them.
Also in the track title the character is now showing up as two
dotted square characters (unprintable characters?).

I'm accessing the files over an NFS share on a Windows machine
running an NFS server. Not sure if that is significant. I don't remember
having any problems before the recent changes.

I have a suspicion that this may be a setup problem. Does mysql have
to be configured to handle utf8 properly? Does it matter which version
of mysql you have (Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.58) or QT (3.2 I think).
How do the regional settings affect this stuff. I'm in the UK.
If I change the character back in the filename field to the proper
one in the mysql database the files then play fine.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here or how I can debug this?

Paul