[mythtv] [patch] AC3 patches

Mark Anderson markjanderson at mail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:51:57 EST 2005

<snip>

> 4.2: In my opinion we do need an "ac3wanted" option also --
> ac3passthrough doesn't quite cut it. The exact option name, wording of
> the help text, position in the GUI etc. doesn't really matter so if
> someone has any other ideas for it please go ahead with that instead.

This is definitely needed to distinguish between hardware AC3 and
software AC3. I have two systems that I "support" (mine and my dads), I
have hardware AC3 and he needs software AC3 since his mother board has
no SPDIF. This option allows AC3 to be used without SPDIF.

I'm not too fussed about the wording or location of the option either.

> 4.3: The AC3 auto-select functionality would be really nice for those
of
> us with both regular audio tracks and AC3. If I have understood this
> correctly, with the first four patches AC3 *should* work but you might
> need to hit the '+' key to get it to switch over to the AC3 track.
That's correct. Auto select is how other set top boxes I have used
behave and seems quite logical to me. "If you find dolby audio then use
it, otherwise use whatever else is there"

>It
> looks a bit awkward the way it is implemented in this patch but since
> don't have a better idea for it right now I'll leave it as it is.
Don't you like functions that call themselves :-). I mainly wanted to
keep the changed lines of code as small as possible to make the
acceptance as likely as possible.

> If it
> isn't "good enough" maybe someone can fix it up? If not I can put it
on
> my todo list but it's already pretty long so it might take a while.
:-/

I can fix it, if someone can explain what the issues are.

> Isaac, will you please consider these patches for inclusion in Myth
CVS?
> At least patch 1-4.1 since they are the most crucial patches to get
AC3
> working...
>
> BTW, thanks for your excellent work Mark, and everyone else who helped
> with this! :-)
No worries, just hoping this work can benefit others too.

Cheers,
Mark