[mythtv] WARNING - CVS drops DVB tables

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Jan 26 22:08:25 EST 2005

Nigel Pearson wrote:
>> That's by design.  Backwards compatability is for wimps. =)
>

>     Hmmm. OK. It is just the first time for me that a
> schema upgrade has done something this, er, destructive.
> Usually, it will add columns that old versions can ignore.
> But there is some value in not having obsoleted tables.
>
> 1) Is this actually "policy"?
> (I couldn't work out if the smilie was for both sentences)

I've never known of anyone having a "policy" on backward
compatibility other than myself and mine has always been 'don't
break things if they don't need to be broken'. I often use
different versions in the course of a day and it's rarely a
problem.

> 2) If so, when are we going to drop oldprogram, oldrecorded,
> and any of the other unused tables? :-)

Um, over my dead body? These are two of the most valuable tables
you've got. Did you assume that the three letters "old" means
they must be useless? ;-)

--  bjm