[mythtv] Making MythTV more OSX Friendly

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Jan 25 14:27:36 EST 2005

Patrick Tescher wrote:

>>- If a different version of a library is installed in the same place,
>>you could get random crashes due to incompatibilities, and MythTV gets
>>unfairly labeled as buggy.
>>

>This is true and a good reason to keep the frameworks private,
>although in theory there would be no need to install a different
>version, it would already be there.

Version conflicts happen all the time with "common libraries".  If
program A updates the framework, it breaks program B.  Other than size,
I haven't seen a good argument for why we wouldn't want to self-package
MythTV for the Mac.  After all, you speak of making it more friendly.
What could be friendlier than a self contained application that can't
break because of any number of user errors mentioned already?  And as
mentioned, given the update cycle of MythTV, downloading the larger
self-contained app once every three or four months isn't exactly a
burden on the user.

Kevin