[mythtv] MythPhone experiments and "features"

Steve Davies steve at one47.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 16:57:08 EST 2005

Hi,

I just got my asterisk server working finally, and started playing with
Xlite... Sweet! Must set this up for free calls via the office ;-)

The obvious next step was to play with MythPhone, which is also very
nice. Great start! I would like to offer some discoveries that may help
others when playing with MythPhone:

* For proxy registration, the setup only seems to allow "authuser" and
"password" to be set. There is a 3rd field involved, which is a
non-authentication "user". My initial asterisk config had user and
auth-user different, so the registration failed. Making the sip.conf
section name match the username solves this.

* If SIP proxy registration fails, it is impossible to "ESC" out of
MythPhone.

* I was unable to use asterisk's "host=dynamic" facility with MythPhone.
Not sure why, but hard-coding the IP address works okay.

* Some of the calls I made were perfect. Mostly outbound calls from Myth
worked very well. Sometimes there was no sound received from the remote
end, even though asterisk reported sending it. For inbound calls to Myth
I never seemed to get any inbound data (I didn't have time to do a net.
trace, so not sure here)

Some nice to have features (perhaps I just missed them?) I'd like to add
to the TODO:

* Hangup without exiting MythPhone.
* Put a call on hold.
* The "M"enu would be better if it captured "ESC" like most other
dialogs. I quit MythPhone several times :)
* Option to disable Myth's voicemail so that the proxy can deal with it.
* Play a test file repeatedly down the line...

Anyway, thats hugely for what you've done so far, and let me know if
there is any way I can help out.

Regards,
Steve

Steve Davies                   steve at one47.co.uk

PGP Fingerprints:
DH/DSS : 5D85 8164 91D7 E9CC 4F80  842B AB86 93D9 8938 7612
RSA    :      4E2E E60F 3D76 9E7E  70F9 901B 70FA 56C8
RSA4096: 02BE 5C0E EFA2 E1E4 EA89  C9CC 1E4F F654 3BC7 B65E