[mythtv] Another fun tuner complexity

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Sun Jan 23 00:23:30 EST 2005

There was some discussion of the complexity added by the fact that
the pcHDTV has multiple inputs which generate entirely different types
of streams.   I doubt anybody will really feel the inclination to
deal with this one, but another problem just came to me.

I have a pcHDTV and a pvr-250.  Both have video inputs as well as their
OTA input which tunes broadcast and cable respectively.   I also have
a satellite receiver which has s-video and composite out on it.

So in theory, I would want to hook the satellite receiver to both
tuner cards.  The fun part is there is only one receiver that can tune
only one channel, so the system would have to treat this like one
source.   However, the hookup would have merit because the two tuner
cards main purpose is to tune different things, so sometimes one would
be free, and other times the other would be free, and you would in that
perfect world want to be able to record a sat program when only one of
the other tuners is in use.   (Of course one would probably prefer the
pvr-250 because it has hardware encoding) but you get my point.

It's tough to think of a good model that can handle all the ways you
could hook up this stuff which doesn't have a nightmare UI.  Which is
why I don't expect this to likely be solved, but it's something else
to toss in the mix.   I'm actually probably going to lose the satellite
dish, because Bell Expressvu reconfigured their birds and so I don't
get half the channels any here down in California.   Hey, why shouldn't
a Canadian satellite have footprint here?    It is, other than being
quasi-illegal, a much better bargain than U.S. satellite companies and
on top of that gives you programs in 5 time zones (including U.S. stations
east and west -- something the U.S. companies won't sell you.)