[mythtv] On the FindOne recordings, conflict resolution

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 23:26:28 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 03:14:32PM -0800, Brad Templeton wrote:
> So I have some questions relating to recording and conflicts.
>
> a) What are the defined semantics for the FindOne recording?  I
> am presuming it means:
>         Here is a specific show (based on the ProgramID)

As you already noticed, no, it's only for the given title.

>         Record this show once, any time it's on -- if there are
>             multiple choices, select to avoid conflict with other
>             desired recordings.

Priorities are still used.  Typically you would use a lower priority
for Find records to give the scheduler more flexibility.

>         Once done, move the request to oldrecorded to avoid recording it
>             again.

Correct.

>     Questions:
>
>         a) Do you need to fill in the fields which might change for such
>            a show?  Such as start and end time, channel and call sign etc.
>            Or is the programID the only truly needed field to identify the
>            shwo for the FindOne?

None of the above.  Only the title is used.

>         b) Apropos of that, if you change the subtitle or description or
>            even the title, will the programid prevent future recordings
>            of the show in spite of you having done this?  I want to
>            put a comment, somewhere the user can see, saying why the
>            show is being recorded.  Or should I set a different
>            duplicate detection mode?

Again, no.  Only the title is used.

> b) How does conflict resolution work?   For example, I queued up a
>     FindOne of a movie, with -1 recpriority to make it not supersede
>     a regular show.    The night it is on, there are two showings
>     of a new series episode for Iron Chef, one at 9pm (same time as the
>     movie) and another at 1am the next day.     However, currently
>     it indicates it will record the 9pm Iron Chef and not record the
>     movie as a conflict, rather than recording the 1am Iron Chef (which
>     conflicts with nothing) and opening up the 9pm slot for the movie.
>
>     Is this the expected behaviour?

Yes.  As I noted before, priorities are still used to decide what and
when to record.  The way I set things up is like this.  I give
positive priorities to all of the recurring programs that I really
want to record.  I give negative priorities to all of the recurring,
"filler" stuff I'd like to record but don't care if it gets missed or
records later.  Then, all of the "off-the-cuff" single and find
records I create get the default, zero priority right in the middle
where I want them.

> c)  It looks like once I changed the record table, I should store 'yes'
>     in the "recordchanged" field of the settings table, right?

Are you updating the record table manually?  If yes, the you also need
to manually force a reschedule.

> d)  My own tests of doing 200 queries for Movies in the program table
>     returns almost immediately.  However, I am using a somewhat
>     smarter query of "title LIKE 'moviename' AND category_type = 'movie'
>     compared to the substring search Myth does for a title search, which
>     is "title LIKE '%moviename%'" which will of course cost more.  But
>     The difference (sub-second vs. 60 seconds) is quite large, so I
>     wondered if there might be some other cause to this.

60 seconds is unusually long.  What hardware are you using?  Perhaps
there is something wrong with your database.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 04:27:23PM -0800, Brad Templeton wrote:
> Hmm.  I now see that FindOne is triggered by the Series title, so
> that a FindOne (Record one showing of this program) when done on
> a series, records the first available episode of that series, which
> to me is a quite counterintuitive behaviour.   It works with a movie
> in that there is only one 'episode' of the movie to worry about.

FindOne is primarily intended for movies and specials, IOW not series.
To find a specific episode of a series, you should use a search
record.

> I had presumed that FindOne found the specific episode (whenever it
> was on) and that SingleRecord was a request for "this showing" namely
> the specific episode in the specific timeslot.    Is this perception
> of SingleRecord wrong, or is there no way to requeset that for a

See above.  FWIW, SingleRecord doesn't really do what you are asking
for either.  All it really does is record that title at that time.
The network could change the episode and Myth would still record it.

David
--
David Engel
gigem at comcast.net