[mythtv] On the FindOne recordings, conflict resolution

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Wed Jan 19 18:14:32 EST 2005

I am completely rewriting my wishlist program to include some snazzy
new features and to not use the stored searches which are currently
not high enough in performance.

So I have some questions relating to recording and conflicts.

a) What are the defined semantics for the FindOne recording?  I
am presuming it means:
        Here is a specific show (based on the ProgramID)
        Record this show once, any time it's on -- if there are
            multiple choices, select to avoid conflict with other
            desired recordings.
        Once done, move the request to oldrecorded to avoid recording it
            again.

    Questions:

        a) Do you need to fill in the fields which might change for such
           a show?  Such as start and end time, channel and call sign etc.
           Or is the programID the only truly needed field to identify the
           shwo for the FindOne?

        b) Apropos of that, if you change the subtitle or description or
           even the title, will the programid prevent future recordings
           of the show in spite of you having done this?  I want to
           put a comment, somewhere the user can see, saying why the
           show is being recorded.  Or should I set a different
           duplicate detection mode?

b) How does conflict resolution work?   For example, I queued up a
    FindOne of a movie, with -1 recpriority to make it not supersede
    a regular show.    The night it is on, there are two showings
    of a new series episode for Iron Chef, one at 9pm (same time as the
    movie) and another at 1am the next day.     However, currently
    it indicates it will record the 9pm Iron Chef and not record the
    movie as a conflict, rather than recording the 1am Iron Chef (which
    conflicts with nothing) and opening up the 9pm slot for the movie.

    Is this the expected behaviour?

c)  It looks like once I changed the record table, I should store 'yes'
    in the "recordchanged" field of the settings table, right?

d)  My own tests of doing 200 queries for Movies in the program table
    returns almost immediately.  However, I am using a somewhat
    smarter query of "title LIKE 'moviename' AND category_type = 'movie'
    compared to the substring search Myth does for a title search, which
    is "title LIKE '%moviename%'" which will of course cost more.  But
    The difference (sub-second vs. 60 seconds) is quite large, so I
    wondered if there might be some other cause to this.

Thanks for help on this.  I think you will quite like some of the nifty
features in this new version.