[mythtv] [experimental patch] pchdtv bttv support

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Tue Jan 18 02:48:27 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:37:31PM -0800, Mark Goodman wrote:
> If I understand correctly, it is different from a normal card with two
> different channel lineups attached to two different inputs in that one
> input gives an MPEG transport stream and the other gives something else.

Plus, if you want to be a perfectionist, it's also able to record
several different subchannels on the same master-channel.  With QAM
that's as many as 16 SD channels, I think.  Right now the most I encounter
is my local PBS which runs 4 SD channels during the day on one master
channel.

But frankly this is a pretty obscure desire and strikes me as a nightmare
to come up with a good model for, to say that a tuner can really be
N tuners, but only if the channels are all related is not something
to easily abstract!

In the future, if we had software radio tuners, then you might imagine
this becoming more real, since the software radio tuner would have
the ability to tune a group of channels at once over a certain range,
the range limited by CPU power, with the base movable.  A PVR for such
a device actually would want to understand that concept.  But this is
years away.