[mythtv] Problem using cidbcast with caller ID from VOIP provider

Mark D. Quering markq at prefcomputers.com
Thu Jan 6 16:50:11 EST 2005

Appreciate all the hard work from everyone involved in this project.

I am trying to setup mythnotify on my standalone Mythtv box.  When I use
cidbcast with the --once option and hard-coded data, mythudprelay works
and everything displays fine.  However when I try to use cidbcast in
default mode where it polls the modem it will not work.  I suspect that
cidbcast does not like the fact that my VOIP phone provider (Lingo) only
sends date, time and number information but no name information much
like many cell phone providers.  When I check my modem's caller ID
output from an incoming call in miniterm, I get the following:

DATE = 0106
TIME = 1446
NMBR = 423320XXXX

Rather than the expected standard caller ID strings of:

DATE = 0106
TIME = 1446
NAME = MARK QUERING
NMBR = 423320XXXX

Since the NAME field is missing on my provider's caller ID information,
I believe that it causes trouble for cidbcast.  I don't know anything
about programming but I was wondering if there is a way that cidbcast.c
could be modified and recompiled to ignore the NAME field and just plug
'Unknown Caller' into the broadcast UDP packet.  Below is my output from
cidbcast with verbose turned on.

Verbose mode enabled
raw_message (460):
<telephone-event type="callerID" TTY="%cid_port%">
  <time stamp="%cid_time_stamp%" zone="%cid_time_zone%"
daylight-savings="%cid_daylight_saving%" second="%cid_time_second%"
minute="%cid_time_minute%" hour="%cid_time_hour%" day="%cid_time_day%"
month="%cid_time_month%" year="%cid_time_year%">%cid_time_string%</time>
  <ring-type>%cid_ring_type%</ring-type>
  <from>
    <name>%cid_name%</name>
    <number>%cid_number%</number>
  </from>
</telephone-event>
Send AT
Send AT S7=45 S0=0 L0 V1 X4 Q0 +VCID=1
Send AT S7=45 S0=0 L0 V1 X4 Q0 +VCID=1
Modem /dev/ttyS4 initialized OK - waiting for RING
NAME =  not Found
CALLER NAME:  not Found
NAME not found
Found ZERO RINGS
Timed out
Error getting CID_info, dont send anything
NAME =  not Found
CALLER NAME:  not Found
NAME not found
Found ONE RINGS
NAME =  not Found
CALLER NAME:  not Found
NAME not found
Found ONE RINGS
NAME =  not Found
CALLER NAME:  not Found
NAME not found
Found TWO RINGS
Error getting CID_info, dont send anything
NAME =  not Found
CALLER NAME:  not Found
NAME not found
Found ONE RINGS
NAME =  not Found
CALLER NAME:  not Found
NAME not found
Found TWO RINGS
Error getting CID_info, dont send anything

Mark Quering