[mythtv] Re: MythMusic Improvements

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Thu Jan 6 06:27:18 EST 2005

Nick Parkinson wrote:

>>Just wondered if anyone was working on improvements
>>for MythMusic; here's a list of things that spring
>>1. IPOD support, and for other portable devices
Having just set up my iPod to work with linux yesterday evening. I
started thinking about integration Mythtv. My current thinking is that
the best way to do this is to build some  scripts around gnupod
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/gnupod.html) to deal with the itunes
database, it also has the capability to convert from ogg to mp3 format.
So  initially I just plan to get some scripts working that will sync the
tunes and playlists listed in mythmusic.

My plan will then be to add a frontend plugin, however as a sync may
take a long time, especially if we are converting to mp3's  the actal
sync will run in the background and so the frontend will just be a means
of checking the current status and mounting/unmounting the ipod.

It will also need a method of dealing with situations where the iPod
doesn't have enough capacity to store all of the music - I've not run
into this situation yet, however the most likely solution will be to use
a playlist to manage this.

It would also be good to sync the rating, and playcount data.

Any other thoughs? Anybody else doing this yet?