[mythtv] Experimental epia/xvmc colour osd HACK

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Mon Jan 3 14:27:51 EST 2005

On Monday 03 Jan 2005 18:49, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 December 2004 00:01, Ivor Hewitt wrote:
> > Updated colour osd hack attached with fixed font code as promised.
> >
> > The corresponding epiaosd theme is at:-
> > http://www.ivor.it/mythtv/epiaosd.tar.gz
> >
> > Basically this speeds up the osd drawing for xvmc by rendering everything
> > directly into IA44 format, also the fonts are rendered as monochrome
> > bitmaps rather than anti-aliased bitmaps. This speedup removed the
> > prebuffer pauses as the OSD fades in and out.. and of course provides the
> > added bonus of colour.
> >
> > Still rather hacky of course. :-)
>
> been trying your patch on my epia m9000
> it does indeed stop the stuttering

Hurrah.

> but the text is not the best

The text is now rendered in monochrome and not anti-aliased so you need to
make sure you have freetype hinting working and you are using a font that
supports it. (e.g. Arial). Then the fonts should look ok.

> when you hit "M" to get the menu i notice that the areas of flat colour are
> not that (flat). is this the best it will get?

Um. which areas of flat colour? can you describe what you're seeing?

> not complaining - just wondering what the long term future of this is

Well at the moment it's just experimentation to see what can be done.

> regards
> --
> simon
> ps wrote an ebuild to apply this automagically if anyone is interested

Hmmm, I'd rather that only people who know what they're doing use this for now
so it's probably best that it has to be manually applied.

--
Ivor Hewitt.
http://www.ivor.it - tech | http://www.ivor.org - hedge