[mythtv] BSkyB patents add skipping technology.

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at mrl.nyu.edu
Mon Jan 3 09:22:32 EST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Colin Guthrie wrote:
]Thought this story may interest/worry a few of the devs here.
]I've been campaigning against EU directives for the patenting of "computer
]implemented inventions" for some time and was involved in a DTI meeting
]recently and will hopefully be involved in a working group in the not too
]distant future.
]"The satellite group BSkyB has patented new technology that allows television
]viewers to record favourite programmes without any ad breaks."

We should be safe against this one. MythTV has been doing ad skipping
for a long time, and also this sounds like they are avoiding the
recording of ads in the first place, which MythTV doesn't do. Also, US
law will likely make it illegal to avoid recording the ads in the near
future, so we are unlikely to ever want to add this feature.

-- Daniel