[mythtv] Automatic backtrace on crash (crashhandler)?

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 14:00:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:05:45 +0100, Thomas Börkel <thomas at boerkel.de> wrote:
> When aMule crashes, it automatically spits out a backtrace into the console.
>
> I wonder, if this could be implemented in myth, too? I guess, this will
> cost some performance, but if it would be only a few percent, maybe it
> would be worth it.

This is something I've thought about as well. It shouldn't have any
performance impact because the stack walk only needs to occur when the
crash occurs (ie/ when the signal is delivered). I think there are
even function(s) in glibc to get the stack (although perhaps they
don't work if all the symbols are stripped? I have no idea).

One thing I hadn't looked into is whether the glibc functions work
properly with threads.

My real job is a doing defect support for a large commercial
application, and this sort of diagnostic information is invaluable to
us. Especially for the case where problems aren't reproducible.

--
aaron