[mythtv] new protocol

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Fri Feb 25 03:58:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 09:01:36PM -0500, Anduin Withers wrote:
> > However, is there any interest out there in writing a new protocol that is
> > able to give a remote frontend absolutely everything it needs to deal with
> > myth?
>
> I know it is heresy but I'd like the same thing, if people want/need direct
> access to the DB let them do it, it doesn't preclude a good, DB free
> protocol (I personally would like a protocol that would let me even fetch
> the guide data, modify settings, etc).

Well, myth would probably need 2 protocols in any event because the RPC
protocols like SOAP etc. don't really do streaming per se, do they?

But tell us why your above proposal makes sense?  I mean SQL is not
that heavyweight of a protocol (probably lighter than SOAP) and there's
a lot of effort to make SQL client libraries for lots of platforms, so
what is the benefit of having to have a protocol to ask the backend to
do queries for you and reformat the results to send back to you if you
can do it to the DB easily enough?  Is it that you can't do it to the DB
on some platforms, but you could do SOAP or CORBA or other queries?