[mythtv] backend dying while mythweb is creating previews forrecorded programs

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Thu Feb 24 15:03:35 UTC 2005

mythtv-dev-bounces at mythtv.org <> scribbled on Thursday, February 24,
2005 7:37 AM:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 09:46 pm, Jim Westfall wrote:
>> I found some additional information on my test x86 backend box.  It
>> appears that connectionClosed() signal is not always getting
>> triggered when a client disconnects.  There ends up being dead
>> sockets in playbackList and fileTransferList.
>
> I _have_ seen this before, but it never happened often enough for me
> to attempt a fix in the backend.  Not really sure how to deal with it
> within Qt like this.
>
> Isaac

If i remeber my tcp/ip right, i think that if one end of the connection
disapears for some reason and there is no trafic it can take a long time
before it gets closed.
I think tcp have a some kind of keep alive but it's usualy several hours.

If the end of the connection that still thinks it's connected sends
something, the tcp/ip stack shoud detect that the connection is closed.

If it's a big problem, maybe a ping command coud be added to the protocol
that periodicaly gets sent.