[mythtv] Hidden channels appear in browse mode

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Feb 24 04:49:33 UTC 2005

> > Again, I ask.  If the channels don't have guide data, why do you want
> > to browse them?  Is it just to see the channel numbers?

> I'm not sure what Chris's reason is, but I'd like to keep those channels
> programmed, because the australian networks use them for special occasion
> programming. (well, this is what they tell us).

Best reason I've heard so far. :)

> If the non-browseable channel numbers were listed somewhere (other than the
> database/myth-setup), so I could see them, it would probabaly be an
> adequate solution for me.

What if there was a toggle?  When I wrote the browse mode originally, I
was thinking of implementing groups.  I'd like to see the favorites feature
turned into a 'channel groups' feature.  So you could have a 'Movies' group,
a 'Sports' group, 'News', etc., all user-editable somehow along with an
'All' group (possibly password protected).  Then browse mode could have a
way to cycle between the groups.  If you're in the mood for a movie, no
need to have to browse through CSPAN to get to HBO, just toggle the browse
group to 'Movies' and hit up/down a few times.

I know there are others who would love this feature, so if anyone is looking
for a project to code, this would be a nice feature to add.  The groups should
be honored by both browse mode and the EPG preferably, and channels should
be allowed to be part of more than one group.  Probably need a new
channelgroup table with something like a group name and chanid in it to keep
track of things, but this shouldn't be overly complicated to implement I
believe.  This would solve the browseable/non-browseable & hidden/non-hidden
debate I believe and provide even more desired functionality.  Why wade
through Oxygen to get to ESPN? :)  (or for the ladies present, why wade
through SpikeTV to get to the channels you want to see) :)

--

Chris