[mythtv] Re: What can packagers/distro developers do to help the stability of "released" version of MythTV?

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 23:27:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 03:17:10PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> Well, how else is someone supposed to get a bugfix between releases, other
> than using CVS?  I simply can't put out a new release for each and every bug
> that's fixed.

I hope I don't wind up regretting this, but I'm willing to try
something if everyone is agreeable.

If someone thinks a bug in a released version needs fixing, they can
send me a patch(*).  If it looks OK, I will apply it to a release
branch, and maybe even tag a new version number if warranted.  This
will all be done in CVS only.  In other words, there won't be any new
tarballs, except in very extreme circumstances.

(*)By patch, I mean a patch generated with "cvs diff -u".  Basically,
if I have to do anything more than run "patch -p0 < file", it won't
get done.

This will give users easy access to important fixes, and hopefully
won't burden Isaac, myself or the other developers with lots of
release hoops to jump through.

David
--
David Engel