[mythtv] What can packagers/distro developers do to help the stability of "released" version of MythTV?

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Wed Feb 23 20:42:13 UTC 2005

Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Wednesday 23 February 2005 04:36 am, Cecil Watson wrote:
>

>>     I've always had the policy of not releasing KnoppMyth w/ CVS
>>versions of MythTV.  This was born of my own personal experience w/ CVS
>>versions of various apps.  From reading various threads in the past,
>>Isaac has stated that he didn't like the idea of packaged CVS versions
>>of MythTV.  I don't follow the dev list closely, but I see he has
>>changed his mind.  Apparently the idea of release candidates don't sit
>>too well.
>>

>I simply don't have time to do release candidates, and I really don't think
>most people would use them, anyway.

I understand the issue of time.  I do think folks would use it if they
knew that it would help with the stabiliy of the actually release (this
is what I'm finding w/ the preview release of R5).  But hey...  You say
tomato, I say tomato. :)

>>     I don't think model of "just run CVS" is very helpful as folks have
>>been bitten by the CVS bug (not saying MythTV, but various apps).  Once
>>bitten, twice shy.  If the general attitude is "by developers for
>>developers", then I think this should be stated as such.  I can respect
>>that.  I can fully understand a developer working on MythTV so he/she
>>can add a feature the he/she like.
>>

>Well, how else is someone supposed to get a bugfix between releases, other
>than using CVS?  I simply can't put out a new release for each and every bug
>that's fixed.

I understand that...  I think for most project general CVS isn't stable
as a release.  Once bitten twice shy.

>>     I love MythTV.  Simply put MythTV is the way I've been watching TV
>>for about 2 years now.  KnoppMyth became a way for other to enjoy MythTV
>>without the hassle.  As a user, what can I do to help the stability of
>>"released" versions?  As someone that would like to make it easier for
>>other to enjoy MythTV, what can I do to help the stability of "released"
>>versions?
>>

>Test CVS, get other people to test CVS, especially when I've announced a
>release is close.  Report bugs. =)

Will do.

>Isaac

Cecil