[mythtv] how about myth services?

Adam Jenkins ajenkins at infocomp.com
Thu Feb 17 21:15:07 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I've been looking over some posts on the mailing archives about why can't
myth gui do X, why can't I run myth in Y situation and I wanted to run an
idea past the dev list.  It seems that gui and plugin development would go
significantly faster and be more open with a rpc service layer for myth.
Probably, for simplicity of coding against, a SOAP service (yes, I know the
reaction that word brings, but for ease of programming against and client
independence it really does win).  How would everyone feel about starting a
MythSOAP layer that provided standard we services for the majority of the
gui operations?  That way if people want to code their own gui website, thin
client, automated system, sms based system etc etc they could.  By opening
up the use cases this way, I think you would allow significant innovation on
the application interraction side of things.

What's everyeone think?

Cheers
Adam