[mythtv] Re: Re: Typo in ivtvdecoder.cpp

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Mon Feb 14 20:05:33 UTC 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 2:20 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:49:25AM -0500, Jeremiah Morris wrote:
>> Once code is in CVS, there are no "only for me" cases; it's open for
>> (mis)interpretation by everyone.
>
> I disagree.  The code was only left there to save me from typing it
> again should I, or someone else, want to do further development.  It's
> no different than any other ifdef'd out debug code.  If it was even
> remotely intended for a user to ever see it, it wouldn't have been
> commented out.

I'm not talking about users, I'm talking about other programmers
picking up bad habits. I know you understand the difference between
production and debugging messages, but folks learning Myth may not, and
might do a copy-paste from here without realizing the purpose of the
VERBOSE macro.  Under Isaac's mantra of "the code is the programmer
documentation", I was fixing what appeared to me to be a grammatical
error.

> I won't mind if you want another construct, but I really can't see a
> problem with using cout/cerr for code that isn't intended for
> production use.

I may propose a construct in the future, but for now I've made my point
as best I can, and you're the one actually working with the code, so
I've reverted the commented-out messages back.

- Jer