[mythtv] Air2PC / DVB audio playback fails in Mythtv - AC3 handling problem?

Blammo [doh] blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 18:22:48 UTC 2005

That's odd.

ahhh.. wait.. I think I got it... can't test this yet, but I have a theory:

MythTV is set up for output to /dev/adsp, which is the ANALOG outputs
of my sound card, IE directly to the TV. MythVideo is setup up for
/dev/dsp, which is the DIGITAL outputs of my sound card. In the past,
this has made complete sense, since no TV was digital, and all movies
were.

However, in this case, you can't send AC-3 out an analog port. so that
may be why we're hearing the chiff-chiff.

Which now brings up several question:

If I turn off AC-3 passthrough, will it play back correctly, IE convert it?
Is there any way to choose a different output device, only for AC-3?
IE, use /dev/adsp for normal output, use /dev/dsp for AC-3.

It's somewhat important, at least in my case, to keep the MythTV audio
going out the analogs, in that it gives volume control to Myth. As
soon as I sent the audio out the digital, I lose volume control. I've
played with all the mixer settings, and nothing seems to affect that.
Other people use the frontend way more than I do, they have a hard
time working multiple remotes.

Thoughts?

Thanks Isaac for your help with this. I hope it turns out being this easy..