[mythtv] Re: Re: Re: Scheduler behavior, why?

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Sun Feb 13 06:01:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:07:44PM -0500, Anduin Withers wrote:
> I try to read most of -dev, still it takes a bit of digging and derivation
> to arrive at how the scheduler works even with the documentation. Especially
> regarding behavior that some of us may have foolishly become accustomed to.
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> How many times do I have to hear deterministic before someone realizes that
> what I want (and what was there, at least in this aspect) isn't
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> non-deterministic?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the behavior in question has been
in CVS for over a year, and in a released version for 8 months.  IOW,
it's not new, and this is the first time, IIRC, anyone has complained.

> > To anyone unsatisfied with this, they're
> > welcome to submit patches or write their own scheduler.
>
> If the expected result of raising an issue is a thread like this one, I
> imagine something like that will be the only satisfactory path remaining. I

I think you might be taking things too personally.  Unless I missed
something, no one said your expectations were unrealistic.  Rather, we
explained why things worked the way they did.  If you want to see
unrealistic, go back and read the archives, especially when the
current scheduler was first proposed.  That's why I'm quick ask people
to put their code where their mouth is in this area.

In this particular case, you pointed out an area where things could be
better and it turned out a minor change could help.  However, I
guarantee you I can create a scenario where the current scheduler,
even with the new change, would revert back to the previous behavior.

David
--
David Engel
gigem at comcast.net