[mythtv] new code just checked in to mythphone does not compile

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Feb 8 19:00:27 UTC 2005

Paul Volkaerts wrote:
>>I can't compile when festival support is activated in ./configure.
>>There are paths in the config file with pauls name ;) Paul could you
>>just insert real paths into the configure script?
>

> It actually says this in the README --- you have to edit those paths
> manually before you run configure, to tell it where to find Festival. Any
> better ideas I am happy to hear.  I don't really want to overburden MythTV
> by copying festival in as a subdir like other libs as it is quite big. Maybe
> there is a way to dynamically link instead of statically linking; I have not
> checked.

One thing that may be an option is to use Festival via TCP (or is it
UDP??... I can't remember).

I wrote a media player a few years ago that speaks the names of
Tracks/Artists etc. (something I've been meaning to add to MythMusic for
ages!!) that accessed Festival in this way. I've prolly even got the
code kicking around if you want it?

That way you could write a stub into libmyth and have a few settings in
MythTV itself as to which servername/port the Festival Server could be
found and all myth modules could use festival fairly easily.

Just a thought, but let me know if you want to discuss. I guess a
drawback is that it could slow things down, but on the plus side you'd
only need one Fesitval installation....

Col