[mythtv] Using short skips during live TV

Dan Wilga dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Sat Feb 5 16:59:32 UTC 2005

I am running the CVS version from Feb 2, with the new ivtv code, on a dual
tuner 250/350 system. I'm using the 350's TV-out, with ivtv 0.2.0-rc3f.
(Tired of seeing this paragraph yet? :-) )

I have my skip forward/reverse times both set to 10 seconds.

Here's the problem:
1. Start watching live TV, and let it run for 20-30 seconds.
2. Press skip right. The position doesn't change, but the OSD appears, to
confirm that we're only 1 second behind.
3. Now, press skip backward. The OSD says we're 12 seconds behind, not 10
or 11 as I would expect.
4. Press skip forward. The OSD now says 4 seconds behind. No amount of
further pressing will get it back to 1 second behind. The video stops
momentarily with each press, but stays 4 seconds behind.

So, I think the problem may be that the skip backward function isn't taking
into account any latency in the process of actually repositioning the
player. By the time it has repositioned, another second or two of real time
has elapsed. (It seems like less than a second, though, so this is only a
guess.)

Then, when skipping forward to what should be only a 1-second delay, the
latency accumulates to 4 seconds instead. Allthough, that theory wouldn't
explain why I can never get it to less than 4 seconds behind again.

I realize this is probably as clear as mud, so if you want more details,
let me know.

Dan Wilga
dwilga at mtholyoke.edu