[mythtv] HDTV Reception (was: DVB Driver for the pcHDTV HD-3000)

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Feb 4 06:57:54 EST 2005

> Expect some of both, and this is still at least a year away, but you
> probably will eventually need VHF.  I decided to put up another antenna
> when that happens, as I might be on QAM by then.
 	Althought possible, from what I've read it highly unlikely that
broadcast HDTV will ever be anything but 8-VSB.  There's a whole lot of
"armor" that goes into the standard to provide multiple layers of data
error checking and correcting.  Although it's not really great at
multipathing, it handles fading and such better.  QAM is good for getting
more into a relatively clean link (like cable).

> Since channel 12 is high enough, and it's close, my UHF yagi manages to
> tune it anyway.

 	Actually, channel 12 is quite distant from UHF channels... they're
not contiguous:

VHF 2-6:   55-83 MHz
VHF 7-13:  175-211 MHz
UHF 14-69: 471-801 MHz

 	If the signals' strong enough, you can pick up stuff with a coat
hanger, too... (and that's an uncalibrated coat hanger to boot!) ... :)

-Cory