[mythtv] Patch: Dropdown for audio output device selection

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Feb 4 01:52:11 UTC 2005

Ed Wildgoose wrote:

>> I don't know if this is standard across distributions, but I'd sure
>> be nice if we could query the /proc/asound files to get the list of
>> available ALSA ports or use an appropriate ALSA function call to
>> iterate the ports.  If we're going to offer the drop down options,
>> why not show what's available instead of a hard coded value?
>

> Oh, oh.  Me sir, me sir..... Yes I can answer this one....
>
> Basically, I "acquired" a small baby two weeks ago and have pretty
> much run out of time to eat, sleep and breathe...  However, I thought
> this was a useful first start.
> To be honest it has been sitting in my tree for a while whilst
> thinking about whether I could do what you suggested.  However, I
> think that the best thing to do is actually just enumerate the
> physical devices and then offer ALSA:plughw:X - if you try to offer
> all the sub devices then you will have a 2,000 item list by the time
> you get all the auto generated stuff out of the way.  I think there is
> little reason to need more than plughw and the device number since if
> you really need anything more than that then you are presumably also
> capable of figuring out how to use a keyboard and type in the correct
> details?
>
> What do you think?

Sure, I don't use the plughw syntax for mine but I assume that it is the
same or equivalent as if I did ALSA:spdif?  As long as it represents the
majority of common devices but is dynamically generated from the system
I would think that would give the best results.  Certainly enumerating
all the subdevices isn't necessary.

Kevin