[mythtv] Re: On Themes & Theming

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu+mythtv-dev at beirdo.ca
Thu Feb 3 00:10:33 UTC 2005

Jason Gabriele <jason.gabriele at gmail.com> wrote:
> Use the wiki. The documentation is hard to update and no one ever feels
> like writing stuff for it. That's why the wiki was created.

Being someone who has contributed in a small way to the docs, I think I can
debunk this myth.  The documentation is not at all hard to update.  First you
check out Myth from CVS, then you edit the .sgml file for the docs.  Then you
make a patch with your changes and submit it.  It's quite simple, really.

While I would admit that the wiki may be more convenient for quick edits, and
it could eventually make a fine method of documentation, Isaac is not a
wiki-lover, and this *is* his project.

If the docs are wrong or are missing something, then for God's sakes, make a
patch to the docs and send it in.  If you are too lazy/incompetent/busy to do
this, then don't complain about the docs.

Finally, the wiki was not necessarily created to completely bypass the official
docs, but rather to augment them with user-submitted sections, howtos, etc that
aren't necessarily appropriate in the official documentation.

<kicking the soapbox away for a while>

Ciao
Gavin