[mythtv] Instructions for compiling .src rpm?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Feb 1 03:08:44 EST 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 08:40, John Freer wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> Are there any instructions posted anywhere on how to compile mythtv
> from rpm source?

If you're using the ATrpms source rpms, you only need to either edit the spec
file to remove the %atrelease macro or define it on the build command line. I
usually build my own packages off Axel's packages tailored to my particular
systems, cutting out that which I don't need, enabling extras like Unichrome
XvMC, etc, so I usually go the edit-the-spec-file route, since I'm making
changes to it anyhow. Then its simply a matter of rpmbuild -bb mythtv.spec.

> I like the convenience of the rpm package, but would like to enable
> XVMC support.

Easy enough to do.

> I gave it a quick shot, but had some macro errors, ie versions, etc.

See above. :-)

> Just wondering if anyone had posted with the procedure to do this or
> should I just use the CVS server / tarball?

Been covered a number of times on the atrpms-devel mailing list. My usual
route is to replace this:

Release: %atrelease 82.2

with this:

Release 82.3.jw1

or something along those lines, and everything builds just fine. The higher
build number ensures my own packages won't get overwritten by a dist-upgrade,
unless there's a newer release from ATrpms, at which point, I likely need to
roll the changes that necessitated a new build from Axel into my own build.

Oh, and I've actually been running cvs-based rpms on all my boxes for about
two months.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jarod at wilsonet.com