[mythtv] max channels on a stream

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Dec 17 10:20:11 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 15:40 +1100, Mark Spieth wrote:
> Im just working on multi channel audio. (finally)
> what is the max number of channels a stream can have?
> AC3 is 6 (5.1)
> DTS? 8?
> is 3 possible with existing soundcards/streams? (L+C+R) probably as
> eventually there should be a config item to indicate max channels
> which may be < the channels the card is capable of.
> what Ive currently done is to let Reconfigure try stream max channels
> first and then progressively degrade as the sound card/driver
> capabilities arent met.

MPEG-1 can handle one or two audio channels, MPEG-2 can handle 5.1
channels with the simple profile, and 48 audio channels with the
advanced profile. I would think it might be best to try to detect
the limits of the sound card, then find matching audio. Or, remix
a multi-channel track to the number of audio channels on the sound
card we have, assuming 5.1 or 7.1 configuration when presented with
6 or 8 channel audio, resp..

DTS supports just 5.1 channels, and the 0.1 channel is low freq only.

-- Daniel