[mythtv] Using a unique key instead of hostname in settings

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Dec 16 13:50:57 EST 2005

Tomas Edwardsson wrote:

> Allan Stirling wrote:
>
>> Tomas Edwardsson wrote:
>>
>>> I have been having problems with having to reconfigure frontends
>>> because someone changed a hostname or domainname. Wouldn't it make
>>> more sense that when generating the initial config the host would
>>> generate a unique ID and save it onto the filesystem. It can then be
>>> the hosts unique id for all settings.
>>

>> In mysql.txt:
>> DBHostName=MyUniqueKey
>

> Its actually LocalHostName=MyUniqueKey.
>

>> And this is probably a users question, more than -dev.
>

> Well, I think that it is more "user friendly" to have this an
> autogenerated ID to avoid conflicts and "losing settings" (I know they
> aren't lost). I think this should be easy and with my modest C++
> skills should be able to write a patch.

How does it make it easier?  The hostname is easily remembered and
easily set in the configuration file.  A unique key is generally
non-human readable and unknown to the user.  If I had to rebuild a
frontend with a different hardware, I would *hate* that a unique key was
generated that I have to try to find.  Right now (which I just recently
did), I simply set my frontend hostname in the config to match my old
frontend hostname and the settings are identical.

Kevin

--
Looking for affordable webhosting?  http://www.sitecity.net