[mythtv] Why Not MPEG-2 Encoding?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Dec 5 14:25:34 UTC 2005

Jim Peterson wrote:

> You'd be best to spend the $65 or so and get a PVR-150 (regular
>
>     or MCE edition) and capture straight to MPEG-2 using its hardware
>     encoder.
>

>   I might look into that... but it's getting harder and harder to meet
> a "TiVO + 1 year subscription" price point.  I guess I just should
> have gotten a quieter front end, so I could keep it in my living room.

To be honest, Myth will never be about beating the Tivo pricepoint.  For
me, the flexibility to spend $65 and add another tuner or drop a couple
hundred and put a networkable frontend anywhere in my house is well
worth the initial extra outlay to bring the system up.

Kevin

--
Looking for affordable webhosting?  http://www.sitecity.net