[mythtv] Re: MythVideo Series Handling

Surye surye80 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 01:40:45 UTC 2005

On 8/30/05, Surye <surye80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> And one final, related note, is there any chance for an arbitrary
> number of sub-categories? This would also help to organize serial
> videos, as well as music videos, and even movies. I'd love to help
> work on that, but I wanted to get a feel for what the developers
> currently feel about such and idea, and what are the pros and cons you
> can think of.

Not sure on the etiquette for a self reply, so I apologize ahead of
time if it's frowned upon, but I wanted to add one more important
thought.

I believe that MythGame really has the right idea in terms of how to
display a tree based on metadata. Using an easy to configure
formatting line, I am able to use super-categories, and numerous
sub-categories to branch out my games in any fashion that fits my
needs. MythVideo I can see doing the same thing, offering some level
of metadata branching, we could say something like "type genre
category title". And as such, you may get "TV Series -> Comedy ->
Rocko's Modern Life -> No Pain, No Gain / Who Gives a Buck?" as one
leaf on the tree, for the first episode. Another adaptation of this
idea is that the tree can collapse certain levels if they don't exist
in the video's metadata, so that you can have "Movies -> Horror -> The
Ring" as a complete branch, disregarding category (or you can use
them, "Japanese" in this case).

As I said, I still think some system of an arbitrary number of user
definable sub-categories would be a cleaner organization, perhaps this
type of structure would be more practical to implement?

Thanks,

Surye