[mythtv] new feature saving the ring buffer

Bob Cottingham bob at bobnvic.com
Tue Aug 30 19:07:18 UTC 2005

Marcelo Toledo wrote:
> I am looking forward in implementing a new feature that will save the
> ring buffer. What it will do: While watching live tv you might save what
> has past and still in the ringbuffer, so you will press a key combination
> and it will store what have been recorded as a recorded show with the name
> "Live TV date hour".

Isaac actually had stated last year some time that he planned to change
the ring buffer to a file based format that would start a new file for
each identified show in the program guide while viewing live tv (I've
probably mangled this quite a bit, but I think that was essentially
right). This would enable the ability to do what you want as well as
several other features. I know, based on talking to him on IRC, that he at
least put some serious thought into it, but I haven't heard anything since
and don't know if he still intends to implement it. I think I remember him
being concerned about seeking across file boundaries, but I could be wrong
about that. This seemed like a really interesting idea and I have been
looking forward to it.

Bob C