[mythtv] DVB: Heads up! PS format deprecated - TS now used by default

Graeme Wilford gwilford at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 15:27:37 UTC 2005

John,

I'm greatly appreciative of your Xv work! It allows me to watch DVDs
and other non mpeg formats on the 350 which were just impossible under
X.

However, I have one general and a two specifc problems with Xv/YUV
over mpeg decoding:

a) The DVB TS recordings appear to get transcoded by rtjpeg (or
similar) and along the way, they look like they get deinterlaced. When
playing them back via the 350, they look much worse than a 'raw' mpeg
PS stream and I didn't manage to get the transcoding resolution to
fill more than about 2/3rds of the TV screen even @ 720x576. [this may
work properly if I knew the correct Myth settings]

b) The X and xine/mplayer load is significant when doing Xv and my
Shuttle ZEN gets hot and the fan-noise becomes noticable. Using the
mpeg decoder is almost load-less and my Shuttle stays silent.

c) I don't have the 350's audio output wired back through the Shuttles
audio input. It goes directly to my amp. This works great for watching
recorded TV. If I want to watch a 'video', I change the input on my
amp to select the Shuttles audio output. This works well and I have
different dolby surround modes for each input. If my TV recordings
were a combination of mpeg2 and something else, I'd have no choice but
to wire the 350's audio through my Shuttle.

Cheers,
Wilf.

Me at google