[mythtv] new feature saving the ring buffer

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Tue Aug 30 12:12:16 UTC 2005

Marcelo Toledo wrote:
> I am looking forward in implementing a new feature that will save the
> ring buffer. What it will do: While watching live tv you might save what
> has past and still in the ringbuffer, so you will press a key
> combination and it will store what have been recorded as a recorded show
> with the name "Live TV date hour".
>
> This is not an easy task and we have a few problems, including:
>
> 1. The file header is missing
> 2. The ring buffer can loop
>
> I would like to hear possible problems and suggestions of how can I fix
> them.

I would like you to take it one step further and not only store what is
in the Ring buffer, but also what is currently recording / playing after
the store so you can get the whole show. Tivo does this and it was a
nice feature. Start watching a show and 10 minutes in you decide you
want to record it or have to go somewhere. Just press Record and it
saves the 10 minutes it has already recorded plus it knows to continue
recording via the guide information.

Thanks,
James