[mythtv] bug recording uncompressed audio?

ame at spip.thehackers.org ame at spip.thehackers.org
Fri Aug 19 01:26:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Isaac Richards wrote:

> Why bother even attaching a patch if it's completely untested?  For _me_ to
> test if it's fixed, I'll have to go find a bttv card, open up my dev box,
> stick it in, configure it, etc, and test it.  Strangely enough, that's
> exactly what I'd have to do if there wasn't a patch attached.  Figure all
> that would take an hour or so.  The problem sounds relatively simple, so
> debugging it from scratch would doubtfully add much time at all, either.
> If the patch were tested, all I'd have to do would be to look it over to make
> sure it didn't break anything else.  That'd take about a minute, maybe 5 at
> the most.

This is absolutely ridiculous. For god's sake, my patch only
added one line of code!! Since you know your code, if you bothered
trying to understand the bug I'm reporting, you'd realize this
has nothing to do with capture cards or opening your dev box. mythtv
is ignoring the configured setting and passing the wrong sampling
rate to the ioctl on the audio device.

If I had sent my message including an explanation of where and
why I thought the code was wrong, instead of a literal patch,
perhaps I would have gotten a warmer reception.

I've told you this in a private message, but since the discussion
came up in public (thanks Ed W), here it is again: I didn't want
you to commit anything to your repository, all I'm trying to do
is to provide a bit of help. If you take it or not, that's up to
you. But instead of giving attitude and "don't waste my time", a
simple nice "thanks we'll take a look" would be perfect.
Regards,

--
Álvaro Martínez Echevarría

``Pero yo que he sentido una vez en mis manos temblar
la alegría / ya no podré morir nunca. / Pero yo que he
tocado una vez las agudas agujas del pino / ya no podré
morir nunca''. [José Hierro, "El muerto"]