[mythtv] BBC and promise.tv

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Mon Aug 15 13:45:11 UTC 2005

On Monday 15 Aug 2005 14:36, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> You can flag programs/series to be kept. In that respect it does the same
> job as Myth, just with the added functionality of recording everything for
> the last 7 days.

Well the presentation talks about transferring them to offline storage or DVD
it doesn't imply they are kept online.

> Myth doesn't prevent us missing interesting programs!

Until it is enhanced to record "stuff I might like",  no.

But trying to record everything that's broadcast is too naive. Might be fine
if you've only got a handful of multiplexes. But lets say you throw in
digital satellite and internet streams, then another multiplex is rolled out,
or the technology improves to squeeze increased bandwidth out of the existing
transmitters.... Then *poof* you've got too much to try and capture
everything and you need to consider how to discriminate in the choices... at
which point you're back to the PVR model.

--
Ivor Hewitt.
http://www.ivor.it - tech | http://www.ivor.org - hedge