[mythtv] Why nuppelvideo mpeg4?

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Mon Aug 8 17:08:46 EDT 2005

Reza Naima wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 08:40:57PM +0200, Torbjörn Jansson sent me this...
>

>>mplayers problem and not mythtvs.
>>

>There are two ways of looking at this problem.  You could modify mplayer
>to work better, or modify mythtv to produce more compatible output.  As
>it seems that you have to install specially patched versions of various
>programs on almost all platforms to play the .nuv files, it would seem
>reasonable to want to try to produce more standard output files.  But
>I've never dealt with the inner workings of video file formats so I'm
>not sure how it all works.

Why the hell should Myth care is mplayer can play it's files or not?

>Why is it that mythtv works fine with mepg2 output of pvr's?  Why can't
>it work just as well with the standard mpeg4 file?

Myth can read and playback AVIs just fine.  It just doesn't create
them.  (because the container sucks ass)

> How hard would it be (and are there any reasons no to) modify the code
>such that it will generate more friendly mpeg4 files?

There are lots of reasons why not to change.   The least of which is "It
ain't broke".

>My personal goals are to :
>	- remove the DB dependance for generated files

There isn't a DB dependence for generated files.  You can playback
Myth's recordings just fine without the seek table (both in Myth and
other players).  You just can't seek/jump around them quickly without
that index.  You could probably tack the seek table on to the end of the
file in some sort of id3 tag if you *really* wanted that data out of the
table..