[mythtv] XVideo XvMC merge patch (v17)

Angel Li angel at miami.edu
Fri Apr 22 14:56:39 UTC 2005

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

>Get it here:
>    http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/~danielk/mythtv/xv-xvmc-merge-v17.patch.bz2
>
>1/ There is some cleanup in DisplayRes; removing the backward
>   compatibility code that is no longer needed with this patch.
>
>2/ The doxygen documentation has been updated; removing bug
>   descriptions of bugs that no longer exist with this patch.
>
>3/ There is a bug fix for a XvMC buffer initialization bug discovered
>   by Andy Polling. It existed in the last couple versions, but isn't
>   always triggered. As a side effect, the code will now allocate up
>   to 16 XvMC buffers, if it can. Before everyone rejoices, the current
>   nVidia drivers/hardware only allow for eight buffers. But if they,
>   or someone else, fixes this, MythTV will automagically allocate
>   more buffers...
>
>BTW From the reports I'm getting it appears that the hard deadlock
>problem with some nvidia hardware combinations has been solved by
>the x11 locking I discussed in the v15 and v14 patch e-mails.
>
>This also explains why v0.17 and v0.18 caused such problems for
>some nvidia users. It appears the nvidia drivers XvMC support is
>not even minimally threadsafe.

I've been trying out these patches for the last 3 or 4 iterations and
for the most part they've worked for me. I do have a question, I noticed
that the OSD is now in color. Does that mean that the patch is not using
XvMC even though it is selected in my setup or somehow someone figured
out how to retain colors w/ XvMC.