[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Fri Apr 22 04:51:01 UTC 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 11:49 pm, Neil Whelchel wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > A standalone media system doesn't need to reimplement every single app
> > under the sun inside of it.  And if it _were_ completely stanalone, you'd
> > not need to run external applications from a keypress, hmm?
>
> Very good point, one I have dealt with myself, and yes, it is was
> completely standalone, I agree (which is the goal in my case, a very good
> argument to not include the patch), however the patch is an 'attempt' to
> deal with some custom configurations such as Crestron. To be more
> specific, the roms will be built always with Myth, and optionally with
> one other application from a choice of many. And the real point here is
> that I need the outside app to NOT run when viewing TV.
> How about meeting this one in the middle, simply bind a couple of keys to
> execute fixed named files (can be a link to what is needed).

No.  That's rather hacky - why isn't the outside app integrated into at least
the menu?  Actually, I think you may be able to do most everything you want
wrt the key binding thing with a separate plugin (your system config one,
perhaps) + a couple generic jumppoints that could be configured to do
whatever.  That's something I could live with - simple, uses already present
functionality, no changes to the core, etc.

> > > If the answer is the latter, Mythtv needs to have everything within the
> > > gui to configure a machine from zero, and I might point out that I have
> > > patched it to do as much at the moment. (All it needed was a way to
> > > configure where it mounts the shared media directory and the Ethernet
> > > configuration, and I can do every bit of front end configuration that I
> > > will ever need to do to make an embedded frontend.)
> >
> > Or within a separate UI that's part of the OS install.
>
> True, however if there is no OS install, in the case of an ebedded system,
> you still need a way to set the IP configuration and the path the the
> fileserver. Sure, you could do this with an external app, (bind a key to
> it with any of our discussed methods), but it is not very clean, as it is
> now not in the configuration menu. Maybe there should be an app that
> watches for the availability of the fileserver, and open a configuration
> app over the top of Myth if there is a failure, but there is not much that
> has to be added to Myth to make it workable.

I would think that you'd want that info (where to mount, ip address) to be
always be obtained automatically, without the need to configure anything.

> > This patch isn't going in to Myth.  Neither is a shell, or gcc, or the
> > kernel. Stuff that's better implemented elsewhere, is, well, better
> > implemented elsewhere.
>
> I respect your opinion, however I think that you should consider a
> configuration module for those of us that wish to do all of the
> (embedded) system configuration from within Myth using a remote control.
> If so, I will get busy on one...

Sure, as long as it's a plugin.

Isaac