[mythtv] No Video / fonts too big.

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sat Apr 16 11:51:44 UTC 2005

In message <4260D951.4010202 at bostream.nu>
          Daniel Staaf <dst at bostream.nu> wrote:

> Tom Hughes wrote:
> >
> > Is there any way of getting 100dpi without lying about the display
> > size in the X configuration?
> >
> > It's all very well saying that people should set DisplaySize to
> > indicate a 100dpi display but that doesn't help much if the display
> > is not a 4:3 display as you can't get the correct dpi in both axes
> > and indicate the correct aspect ratio which Myth also relies on.
>
> Use the switch "-dpi 100" when you start the X server. For example, this is
> what I have in my /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers:
>
> :0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -br -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt7

That doesn't work. I've tried it before and if you do that then
it will ignore DisplaySize and compute it from the DPI and resolution
so Myth winds up thinging you have a 4:3 display. Here's what xdpyinfo
says on my system:

  screen #0:
    dimensions:    720x576 pixels (610x357 millimeters)
    resolution:    30x41 dots per inch

If I add -dpi 100 then I get this:

  screen #0:
    dimensions:    720x576 pixels (183x146 millimeters)
    resolution:    100x100 dots per inch

So it is now 100 DPI but the aspect ration is wrong.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/