[mythtv] Configure Script & 64bit Libraries

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 07:11:40 UTC 2005

On Friday 15 Apr 2005 03:46, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 08:48 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 02:28:47PM +0100, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> > > I mentioned last week on the user list that the new configure script
> > > does not do any checking of the 64bit library path (/usr/lib64/ or
> > > /usr/local/lib64/) - as a consequence it cannot find the necessary libs
> > > to enable Lirc, xv, XvMC on 64bit installations.
> > >
> > > This seems like something that should be fixed before the release of
> > > 0.18.
> >
> > Which ugly distribution requires this? On Debian, the libraries are just
> > in 'lib' (though there are some lib64 -> lib symlinks).
>
> Heh.  That would be FC3 x86-64 edition.

Also Mandrake x86_64 and a couple of other 64bit distributions. It isn't as
ugly as you think, there is a very good reason behind it. Having two sets of
directories allows you to have both 32bit and 64bit libs installed without
conflicts.

Actually Debian would seem to be flawed in this regard - how do you install a
32bit app which requires the same libraries as an installed 64bit app?
--
Stuart Morgan