[mythtv] DVB patch for Freeview/Xtraview

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Wed Apr 13 23:11:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:21:48PM +0100, drbob wrote:
> Charlie Brej wrote:
> >First of all, the patch is attached and it allows you to watch the new
> >Xtraview channel on the UK Freeview system. It is only a first stab but
> >seems to work correctly without messing up the other channels.
> >

> Isn't there an adult channel on freeview that uses a similar system;
> does the patch allow access to that as well?

The "proper" adult channels are encrypted via standard methods and
require the appropriate CAM / Viewer Card Combo, so this patch won't
do squat for them....

As for allowing viewing of the parliment channel, while this patch
allows you to see the pictures on this channel, what you are actually
seeing is 2 screens of BBC News Interactive, plus the pictures from
BBC Parliment.

What you are supposed to be seeing on BBC Parliment is a single 1/4
size video stream, plus digital teletext based information surrounding
it. To watch it properly involves coding up digital teletext support
(which will give us all the interactive channel functionality as well).

The digital teletext is AFAIK implemented using MHEG-5, so all that is
needed now is a copy of the MHEG-5 standard and sufficient keyboard
time.

This is on my TODO list with a bunch of other things (like dvb radio
channels). Anyone know where I can find the MHEG-5 standard freely
available????

Stuart