[mythtv] DVB patch for Freeview/Xtraview

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 12 19:02:22 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 12:44, Rob Jones wrote:
> Their is the legal argument of intent though; as by doing this you are
> still technically stealing the service, regardless of the technical
> arguments of how you did though.

Not entirely sure I agree with this. If you broadcast something over the air
in the clear I don't think you can be accused of stealing it. If I'm sitting
in the park, and Disney come along and start screening Fantasia, they can't
then turn around and accuse me of stealing. If I duck in the back door of a
cinema and watch a screening of the same film, that is stealing, because I've
circumvented the method for controlling access to content. I personally
wouldn't see this patch as having circumvented control of access. Then again
IANAL.
--
Steve Boddy