[mythtv] Unknown command loop

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Apr 12 18:25:25 UTC 2005

Keith C wrote:
> I'll get this downloaded and tested as soon as I can. This sounds like
> an exact fix for my problem. With my master up, it will run
> indefinitely. With the slave up as well, they will at some point both
> get very unresponsive. For example, MythWeb will load most of the status
> page, then give up. Subsequent loads of the status page will then return
> backend down. As this always happens within 6 hours, I should be able to
> confirm whether this fixes it.

This and the the previous fix to empty the socket if the data
is obviously misaligned are unambiguous attempts to recover
after something has gone wrong. Why the massages get garbled
is still unresolved. Isaac now speculates that maybe two threads
on the slave may be writing to the socket at the same time causing
the messages to be inter-mixed but these events are rare and we
need more info to see what's going on.

> I am currently running CVS from April 7.

The problems seems to have started around the 6th. Please install
current CVS and run:

mythbackend -v network > /tmp/mb.log 2>&1 &

on both the master and slave. Later "grep Protocol /tmp/mb.log".
If there is a match, please cut'n'paste all the messages from
a minute before up to a minute after the "Protocol error:" message
and grab the messages in the same time frame from the slave's log.

Thank you,

--  bjm