[mythtv] [exp. patch] xv xvmc merge (v7)

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Tue Apr 12 12:28:34 UTC 2005

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> I've updated the xv/xvmc merge patch with the help of some VLD
> debugging by Ivor Hewitt. Hopefully this version functions with
> XvMC-VLD..
>
> The patch is at:
>   http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/~danielk/mythtv/xv-xvmc-merge-v7.tbz

This patch plus mythtv CVS from April 11 appears to fix my XvMC hang
problem!

With every build since 0.17-ish through CVS+xv-xvmc-merge-v6 would cause
my system to hard hang within a few seconds if I had XvMC enabled.  I
have tested playing, fast-forward, and pause with this patch, and no
hang at all.

The two issues I see right now are:

1) The OSD disappears abruptly after 1 second.  No smooth fade out, like
  when I switch back to XV.   Perhaps this is due to the new change in
XVMC_OSD_NUM ?

2) Although the CPU usage during playback is quite low when I have XvMC
enabled now (20% on a 2GHz Celeron), the video is choppy when the system
is under load (like when it's running mythfilldatabase).  Especially
right after a seek.  If I switch to XV playback, the CPU usage is higher
during playback, *but* the video isn't choppy at all.  (mythfilldatabase
is still running from when I testex XvMC).    I'm not sure how long this
has been the case, as I haven't been able to successfully use XvMC since
0.16.

This appears to be the best so far.

--
-WD