[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Sat Apr 9 23:44:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 15:40 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Saturday 09 April 2005 03:30 pm, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > There are three solutions as I see it:
> > 1/ Construct the verbose string completely outside of the verbose lock.
> >    The problem with this is it makes the verbose macro take longer to
> >    execute.
> Right, would:
> ostringstream blah;
> blah << dtime << " " << args;
> mutex.lock();
> cout << blah << endl;
> mutex.unlock();
> Really take that much extra time?
It is noticable, but only if you turn on "-v playback"
> > 3/ Disable verbose locking in release builds.
> This would work, too.
For now I've checked in a fix that uses ostringstream for release builds,
and locked args in debug builds. The assumption is that people don't
normally run with "-v all" on the release build, so the extra overhead
isn't noticable. And if you are running a debug build it is easy enough
to track down the cause of a VERBOSE deadlock.

-- Daniel